Blog Archive

Thursday, September 18, 2008

49% of the votes

In a surprise move, Wilson decided to run for ASB vice president. His campaign motto and posters featured his little brothers with speech bubbles recommending "vote for my big brother!" In his speech, he detailed his prowess for taking care of little kids and communicating with adults. He even had Max and Marcos join him, hand in hand, as he confidently delivered his speech. In the end, he was beat out by Rachel who garnered 51% of the elementary school votes. What I counted as a success, was our dinnertime discussion of the day's events. Cooper and Eliza reported their fervent campaigning efforts on Wilson's behalf in their respective classrooms. It was one of those delicious instances of total family unity, when the best thing in the world is to be surrounded by people who are on your side. At least for dinnertime, Wilson basked in the glory of being a winner. He always has my vote.

Every Fall for the last two years I have been summoned for jury duty, but never selected for actual jury service. I was again summoned this week and confident in my history, I dropped my kids off with my visiting teacher and told her I'd be back in two hours. I must be a lucky girl because I was selected as the alternate jury member. I haven't sat that long for years and the defendant and his attorney used the same arguments as Korihor. It was disheartening for me to see all the resources (time, money) spent, but the alternative defies everything our country stands for. My sweet visiting teacher had my kids for over 8 hours, and even had dinner ready for me when I was done. The tender mercy was that the trial was only one day and the jury made their decision in less than 15 minutes. Despite my day (OK, week) being turned upside down, I'm glad for the experience.

When I told Max we were going to help our friends this morning he asked with horror, "Is it service day again!?" I must be doing something right.

My poor Marcos woke up at 5:00 this morning with what I later learned was a terrible ear infection. I guess there are worse things than an early morning pedicure while the sun rises and my baby splashes in a warm tub.

I rode to the lake today. The trees are turning colors and the shadows are softer. My flower baskets are dead and I could care less about the lawn. We had the absolute perfect ski on Tuesday afternoon; felt like carving through butter. Finally I am at peace--let the Fall come.

1 comment:

Child of God said...

Kelly sometimes I am so jealous of your life and sometimes I am not! Love ya

Stacey