Blog Archive

Thursday, January 3, 2008

best year yet




I don't think our family has ever ended a year with more happy memories. My favorites include:

1) Ivy snuggled in with her family on their usual pew at church. Max made a beeline for her right after the closing prayer to feel her hair and match skin color. Tony said he didn't hear a word of the lesson in Priesthood meeting because he was so enthralled with Ivy's sweet raspberry sounds. Tony is taken with Ivy and broke all rules of etiquette by snatching her out of Betina's arms.

2) The most beautiful winter day I've ever seen at Mt Spokane with absolute marshmellow perfection on all the trees contrasted by blue skies and bright sun. After a few practice runs (until the "mommy chair lift" got too tired) Eliza joined Cooper on the lift and they skied the rest of the afternoon together. Cooper gave me frequent glowing reports about Eliza's progress. Wilson loved hitting the jumps. Max gave skiing a great effort, but enjoyed playing in the day care with Jack and Anna more than anything. Tony had several great runs on the snowboard and most importantly sustained no injuries. Even I took a few runs down the bunny hill and was happy to discover that it was nowhere near the horrible experience I had as a kid. We didn't see much of Hughes or Hainsworths on the slopes, but Tony was impressed with James' skiing--his Jackson Hole upbringing was very evident.

3) 16 kids sitting around our kitchen table eating stew and cinnamon rolls. It was obvious as they laughed together, that they feel totally safe and accepted. It's a contention free time that I cherish. I hope Jackson knows how grateful we are to him for setting a great example. Wilson and Cooper watch him like crazy and would follow his lead anywhere.

4 Snuggled up on the couch with my sweetheart and a cup of tea to watch "Hairspray." Lucky for our house, every day is negro day and we have embraced the checkerboard lifestyle.


2008 has begun beautifully. Tony has added SuperHusband to his already stellar SuperDad title. He spent all of New Year's Day helping me put away Christmas and get the house back in order. The kid's started back to school on the 2nd, but it will take us a bit to get back into our routine.

Today Max attended his first day of preschool in Steptoe. He loved it and his teacher commented that she could tell I had been working with him because he is doing so well and is so bright. HaHa--I've never worked with him, but being number four does have it's advantages. While Max was at school I took my new snowshoes up Steptoe Butte. I have found this to be the most effective way to recharge my batteries, even when falling head-first down the hill into waist deep snow.

My goals this year are simple, and dare I say, achieveable:
1. Finish the Book of Mormon in Spanish
2. Be consistent about teaching money management to my kids
3. Show more gratitude for my parents
4. Find one name to take to the temple
5. Host a family for dinner once a month

Andrea had a great idea to find a phrase or word to focus on for the next year. The phrase I need to focus on is: "It's not about ME." If I could keep the focus off myself and teach my kids to do the same, 2008 will be our best year yet

4 comments:

andrea said...

I love you! It was such a great way to spend the new year! How did you ever dig yourself out of the snow? I called today and Tony said that's what you were doing while Max was at school. Good for you. Our Christmas still sits. I took the decorations off the tree but didn't get further than that. Tomorrow night we have the game night at our house and that should kick me into gear. My throat still kills but the body aches are gone.

Letty said...

Kelly you are always amazing! I love reading your thoughts...I feel like I am tapping into a unadulterated source. You really are such a great mom and person. Truly people are better for knowing you!

molly said...

"It's not about me". Your goals are inspiring. It's nice to read about all your good news. You have a thankful heart. Take care of yourself while you continue to bless others.

Betina said...

Yes... bringing Ivy home was amazing. But not quite as amazing as the Splazzanya. I still have not recovered from that meal.