Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

snow day

Because I was one mean momma, I actually prayed that school would be cancelled so I could have a chance to repair the damage I inflicted yesterday. Thank goodness my prayer was answered. It was a bummer to miss Spanish preschool, birthday parties and dance class, but it was so fun to play in the snow, eat hot-chocolate with ice cream for lunch, play board games and cease the incessant nagging that is my ugliest habit. It donned on me tonight that I need to define a successful day on what relationship I strengthened rather than on what tasks I checked off my list. Even my 6 daily goals should be motivated by strengthening relationships. Today when I was reading in the scriptures I noticed that Lamen and Lemuel spent a lot of time trying to separate the spiritual from the temporal. Nephi tried to convince them that there wasn't a difference. I think I'll study Nephi's words carefully so maybe he can convince me as well.

We've all had a stomach bug; Cooper threw up at school and I went to bed last night with a fever and chills. Poor Marcos sounds like he has croup and Wilson smelled so bad he had to be quarantined.

Max is so excited to be a preschooler. When I told him he has school tomorrow he asked, "Mom, will this night take a long
time?" We are being courted by St John Preschool, but the Lundbergs love Steptoe school. Maybe next year.

It is so fun to have Marcos crawling. He is terribly proud of himself and always comes around the corner to find us with a beaming smile on his face.

The bad roads prevented Tony from going to his church meetings tonight so we held a family council on how much media we should be having every day. It went really well and the kids developed some guidelines that will help them self-regulate and prevent me from becoming the game cube Nazi.

It is beautiful outside, the prettiest winter we've had in years. I 'm feeling very thankful.

4 comments:

molly said...

A memorable snow day. GC Nazi, that IS your holy moment, in the thick of it. You would be interested in these two articles. (cut/paste links)

Parenting- nag less http://www.ourstory.com/thread.html?t=169297

"We are not duality Christians" JS
http://www.ourstory.com/thread.html?t=275146

Like Nephi, this last article ends feelings of competition, demonization, & stress also.

Betina said...

Okay,just for the record Max is TOTALLY NOT GOING TO ST JOHN PRESCHOOL NEXT YEAR. Oakley would be lost without him.

Just today, Oakley said, "This is my sister Ivy. She is black like Max. Max is my best friend, we go to preschool together when I am 4".

For the sake of this little white boy, stay in St. John. :)

molly said...

Kelly, I want to introduce you and your friends to Jamie Murphy. She is considering adoption. http://www.ourmurphlife.com/

I know you would like her because Jamie is really cool and kind. She is in our ward and has an almost three year old daughter, Faith. I am trying to get her to come see your wonderful story and say hello. I want her to know you guys are here.

Cynthia said...

Snow what's that? It sounds like you are enjoying your kids so much. I am so happy all of you are together as a family. I can't wait to meet your newest member. He is dang cute...so are the rest of them.