Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

momma duck

The weather has been amazingly beautiful, but so cold I have been running the kids to school in the car. Inevitably I grab a few neighborhood kids too. My favorite little kindergarten boy popped out last of the car full of kids and exclaimed, "Thanks Momma Duck!" What a fantastic compliment.

I think Tony may be on to something. Basketball practice was going to disrupt Family Home Evening on Monday night so he suggested we have Family Home Morning instead. We had cookies for breakfast (we like treat first) then lesson and activity. It worked of course, because the kids had the day off, but seems like a great alternative. We talked a little about Martin Luther King for lesson and had an all black and white dinner (black beans, rice, olives, pears and Nutella on white bread). I was snuggling Max on the couch and the sunlight was hitting his curls. I could see every color of the rainbow in his shiny hair. For the millionth time I was amazed at how strikingly beautiful he is. Will I always be fascinated and awed (and secretly envious) of my son's skin? Someday I will personally thank Martin Luther King for his part in my chance to be the plain white mom of a beautiful black boy.

Marcos starts occupational therapy tomorrow to reshape his cranial bones. The OT will work with he and I in the pool. I can't wait to be in the water. Yesterday the silly boy fell in the tub with his clothes on. He and Max had a lovely time, fully clothed and sopping wet.

3 comments:

molly said...

I can see in the faces of your children they feel safe and loved. Their eyes twinkle. I thank you for that momma duck.

The Kahumokus said...

Hi, I'm Cynthia's sister (Natalie) and I wanted to thank you for your last post. This simple little phrase ("I need to define a successful day on what relationship I strengthened rather than on what tasks I checked off my list") has really stuck with me and helped me step away from my list for a few moments during the the last few days. Thanks for the insight and I hope you don't mind if I read your blog!

Letty said...

And what a great mama duck you are! I love you and all of your forth right honest, fresh, look on life. Thanks for checking out my house on Sat. You really gave me some great insight...there is now a orange square on the wall!
You are fabulous!!!!