Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

perfect gift































As much as my Mom denies it, she has the ability to give the perfect gift. I had tears in my eyes when I opened my Christmas present this year and found my grandmother's wedding ring. The diamond had fallen out long ago and my Mom explained that it really wasn't worth much money. To me it is worth so much. I'll take it to the jeweler this month and have my diamond put in the setting. It was a wonderful gift especially on the first Christmas of my entire life without my Grandma.

Our traditional Christmas Eve at the Frederickson's was very peaceful. Eliza was an angel, Cooper and Marcos were shepherds, and Max and Wilson were wisemen. They all took their roles very seriously. The kids also shared piano talents and Wilson bore a sweet, simple testimony. Mom was in charge of the program this year which meant everyone participated or else. We all sang "Guard Him Joseph" to end the night.

The kids all slept well on Christmas Eve, and were lined up on the stairs in their new Christmas pajamas by 8:00 am. With five kids, even limiting Christmas to three gifts apiece can sure add up. I think we had a good balance this year of surprise and excitement, tempered by a little disappointment. Tony and I both agree that a little Christmas disappointment when we were kids was a very good life lesson. Eliza was thrilled with her American girl doll with the matching pajamas. Max was more thrilled with his Power Ranger underwear than his new tool bench. It didn't take Wilson long to get over his disappontment with the "RipStick" skateboard and by the end of the day he was a little more than proficient. Cooper informed us that all his Christmas dreams came true, thanks to Grandma and Grandpa who gave us a pull-up bar, tetherball pole and punching bag. Cooper also got the coolest Trikke bike, which provided the Dad with hours of fun. My always easy to please husband was thrilled with his $8.00 rubics cube and digital remote BBQ thermometer (again from Mom, the Queen of gift giving).

Thursday before Christmas Tony took the boys out of school to go skiing. What a great Dad. They had a beautiful time and Tony said it was the perfect sunny blue-skyed day. Wilson reported that he skied like an Olympian. It was extra fun for the boys because they met the Hainsworths on the hill. I love the idea that snow skiing is an activity for Tony to do with the kids, but I did feel a little left out. Next time I'll go and take my new snowshoes. Marcos can come with me until he gets old enough to join the big kids.

The Friday before Christmas was one of our most memorable ward parties ever. Santa arrived to visit with the kids and when it was Eliza's turn he jumped up to do the Jingle Bell rock with her. Unfortunately, Santa appears to have lost weight and his pants dropped to the ground. It was a while before he noticed, but it didn't phase Santa much. He just pulled his pants back up and motioned for the next kid. We also learned that Marcos is absolutely terrified of Santa. Tony is convinced it is the beard, but I'm not sure.

Saturday before Christmas I tried too hard to make happy Christmas memories and ended up just being grouchy all day. Oakley and Eden were here so we made our gingerbread trains. It involved a lot of frosting in hair, candy in the mouth and general stickiness, but was a more fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon than listening to me complain. That night we had dinner with our friends the Delongs and it turned out to be a very relaxing night. We even watched "Luke 2" together. The highlight of the night was when Oakley announced at dinner right before prayer that when he grows up he is going to be black just like Max, "My penis is going to be black..., my head is going to be black..." We love that Oakley.

After all the gouchiness on Saturday I was very relieved to be in Sacrament meeting on Sunday for a beautiful Christmas program. The spirit was really strong and I could feel peace replacing tension. I have struggled this season with unknown factors stealing my peace, but church turned out to be the perfect antidote (not always the case!) Primary always feels good, even when neither of my counselors were there and the kids were on a major Christmas high. On Sunday night we all got together at Mom and Dad's for a yummy shrimp dinner in honor of Dad's 65th birthday. It was a nice evening. Cam and Jill and Tony and I gave Mom and Dad a Bose radio this year and Tyler, Chelsea, Dustin and Kimberly gave them a laptop. It's nice to be able to give your parents nice gifts, even when they fight it. I was also really touched by Jeff and Stacy's gifts, which were homemade and very thoughtful.

1 comment:

molly said...

The ring is a great gift from your mom and grandma. Oakley, lol. I want to be black when I grow up too. Some ingredients for calm and comfort: walnuts are calming, so is american ginseng (not asian ginseng) B Complex, lavendar essential oils, chi gong, deep breathing meditation, gamma wave sound therapy, 1000 lux sun light therapy for winter blahs, 'natural calm' magnesium powder, a note pad, 'red bull' has nothing to do with calm ..I'll share my notes with you. Of course this is all confidential :)