Blog Archive

Saturday, December 15, 2007

making christmas memories
















This has been a good month so far for making memories. The weather has been so beautiful with perfect snow for making snowmen and sledding. It has been magical to wake up every morning to a winter wonderland. Our shopping is all done (the blessing of the internet) so we'll just send out Christmas cards, wrap the gifts and make the Rocky Road.

Last Friday night, Betina, Eden, Mom, Eliza and I had dinner at the Davenport and then went to the Nutcracker Ballet in Spokane. The performance was magical. Mom made it extra special by bringing books explaining the story for the girls. She also reminded me that the first time I saw it in San Diego when I was a little girl, Barishnikov was the main dancer. I wish I had a better memory. It was really a treat to enjoy that night with my little girl, my Mom and our great friends.

On Saturday morning, my friends in St John had a shower to welcome Marcos. It is always humbling to be the center of attention (even for me). I really appreciated the sacrifice of time everyone gave. Instead of gifts for Marcos, everyone brought donations for children in orphanages. Betina took some of them to Ethiopia with her (Ivy is on her way home!) and the rest we will get to Guatemala. Marcos, as usual, was the perfect charming baby and his cuteness always takes my breath away.

Today we started with breakfast and a movie at the Garland theatre. Nothing is more fun than soda, popcorn and licorice for breakfast. After the movie, we ran a few errands and then took the kids to the roller rink. It was flashback time for Tony who recovered his childhood skating skills very quickly. He spent a lot of time at his Aunt LaRue's skating rink in Idaho Falls when he was a kid, and man, has he got the moves. The kids were a little nervous at first and wanted their roller blades, but soon they were skating like true children of the 80's on four wheels. My favorite sight was Max in the middle of Cooper and Wilson, skating for all he was worth. Sadly, I think Eliza inherited my balancing abilities and clung to the wall most of the time. Still, she had a smile on her face the whole time. The kids can't wait to do it again.

Marcos is now up on all fours. He is scooting to get whatever he wants, and has a developed a shriek worthy of a fifth child trying to be heard.

Maxwell's verbal skills are keeping us in stitches. For starters, he talks nonstop, at church, at storytime, anywhere there is an audience. Last week, Callie took the kids to get some donuts at the store. Cooper picked out a package of powdered white ones. Max shook his head and reported, "I can't eat those. They are white and I am black." He requested his own package of chocolate fudge donuts. It didn't work, but it was a good try. Another day he checked Marcos' diaper: "He's not poopy Mom, just watery!" The funniest part of Max's communication is his facial expression. He is so entertaining right now, but is really bored with me at home. He will start preschool one day a week after the holidays.

This week I've been feeling like something is stealing my peace and am trying to pinpoint what it would be. I have so much to be grateful for, and things are going so well. I've tried really hard to reduce and simplify and keep focused on the family, but it feels like there is a piece missing this Christmas. I'm glad to have Primary to look forward to every week, and am convinced I will figure it out.

2 comments:

molly said...

You got to see Barishnikov! Good job making memories. If you ever want to talk while you sort out your thoughts let me know. It's easy to do some private journaling at ourstory.com.

Betina said...

I think it is obvious that the "Missing Piece" Is Vivi Anne. Just a thought.