Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

signed, sealed, delivered --I'm yours




Here is a short list of "firsts" that Marcos experienced on or before December 1st

first teeth
first snow
first haircut (at home)
first birthday

Saturday was Marcos' birthday and the day we sealed him to our family in the Spokane temple. The ceremony was very short (maybe even considered a drive-by) but we didn't need long to officially recognize what we've known from the beginning--he's ours. He looked so sweet in his little white outfit. I hope my kids can always remember how it feels in the temple, as it is a pretty unique experience for them to be there. After the sealing Tony gave him a father's blessing. He blessed him that he will feel connected to both his birth heritage and his adoptive heritage. He also blessed him that he will be a unifying force between his brothers and sister. I see the effects of that blessing every day.

After the sealing we all went to lunch (Mexican food was the closest we could come to Guatemalean cuisine and it just doesn't compare). Tony's parents came from St George through a terrible storm and were in Spokane for less than 24 hours. It meant so much to us that they would make that sacrifice to be there. We were thankful to my parents for hosting them in Spokane as well. One little bonus of their trip was that we had a mini Christmas together after the sealing before they flew out. It was fun for them to be there when the kids opened their gifts. Eliza was thrilled with her sparkly pink shirt, Max with his football sweatshirt and both the boys truly needed new sweatshirts. The wall plaque she had made for us was exactly my taste. Grandma sure started our Christmas out fun this year.

To celebrate Marcos ""first" achievements, Eliza also lost her first tooth. That silly tooth fairy forgot to come the first night, so we sent a note to her the second night. Lucky for her, she showed up and left the hefty sum of .55 cents and a handwritten apology. Eliza was thrilled.

On Sunday we invited several families for dinner and then watched the Christmas broadcast from Salt Lake together. It was nice to be together with our "St John family" all snuggled in by the fire eating brownies and peppermint ice cream. On Monday I took the kids to the beautiful creche exhibit in Spokane. I wish I could have spent more time enjoying the amazing display of literally hundreds of nativity scenes. We had family home evening treat at Aunt Nancy and Uncle Dale's house to meet their new grandson. As usual, Aunt Nancy is the family bungee cord--she keeps us all together and I really love her.

Yesterday the kids and I made gingergbread cookies (and a huge mess). Today I was blowing bubbles for Max and Marcos and they were erupting in big belly laughs. I wish that I could package the sound of the laughter and the smell of the cookies, and give it for Christmas this year. I would call it "essence of Christmas" and it would be a guarenteed hit.

Christmas with five kids is going to be our best ever.

2 comments:

Letty said...

I love love reading about your families journeys...You are such a great mom! I hope I can be like you someday! Thanks for beign such a great example of motherhood, family, and happiness.

molly said...

Max's face seems to beem for Marcos. I admire Tony's parents for being there to celebrate.