Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

St John to St George








 We spent a wonderful week hosting our dear friends from St John, The Larsens plus a bonus weekend with Amy Kolb!  Our visit was pure joy with Val, Sophie, Cami, Joel and Celeste.  They flew into Vegas on Monday night so both Eliza and I drove to pick them up since we don't have a car big enough and Eliza was still dying to get a Korean corndog in Vegas.  That's when the trouble started.  I got a late start due to a counseling appointment and the highway was closed and included a looong detour around the city.  Once I had finally located the Larsens and grabbed dinner at Kanes (Eliza and her crew finally had their corndogs and boba tea) we headed toward home in the craziest lightning storm I've ever seen.  Just as we were coming out of the gorge at 11:30 at night, we saw an orange glow that I hoped were just the lights of the city, but turned out to be a fire.  We were rerouted all the way back to Mesquite and then all the way around through Santa Clara.  We didn't get home until 1:00 in the morning.  It was an adventure!

After a good sleep we spent Tuesday doing some shopping, exploring downtown and listening to Sam's constant giggle from Joel's jokes.  The girls loved Urban Renewal and even found Senior picture clothes (a miracle).  Max took everyone to Bahama Bucks and it was really nice to see him smile with old friends.  On Wednesday Val, Sophie and Cami got up early and happily caught the shuttle in Zion.  Celeste and I had a quiet day at home, swimming at the pool and learning to snorkel. Joel and Sam played basketball and laughed their heads off.  After work Tony took Joel and Sam mountain biking at Bear Claw Poppy and made it home just in time before a wonderful summer monsoon turned our street into a river.  It was a glorious show of thunder and lightening.  We also discovered that pizza and sushi actually go wonderfully together.  

On Thursday Val and I dropped the boys off to a movie and got lunch at Mixed Greens.  We explored the Kayenta art village and thrifted a bit.  Thursday night we had dinner at Pepes tacos and explored Snow Canyon and introduced Larsens to Creamies.  Tony, Sam, Joel and Sophie made it all the way to scout caves and had a great 5 mile hike.  The rest of us enjoyed dodging the red ants and avoiding the cactus.  It was a beautiful night.  

Later that night Amy came to help mitigate any post company depression.  

On Friday the fun ended all too soon and we loaded Larsens up and headed for Vegas.  This time the trip was seamless and I was back before dinner.  

Saturday Tony, Amy and I completed a triathalon sprint at the rec center.  It felt good!  I'd never put all three together before.  Tony spent the afternoon playing raquetball and Amy and I made Wilson a real Audrey birthday cake!  Wilson came over that evening and we all ordered CupBop Korean BBQ and had a really pleasant evening with our newly 25 year old son.    

Sunday we slept in, had church and hosted a few of Tony's raquetball friends for dinner.  It was a kind of painful event because they were single guys who spent the evening oogling Amy.  We were able to excuse ourselves and go to the airport where I continued to try to convince Amy to meet Andrew Borders, Jeff's recently divorced friend.  Imagine my shock when Amy sent me a picture of she and Andrew who had met in the SL airport completely randomly!  It was beyond Karma and my matchmaking wishes were in full force!

Yesterday I abandoned my to do list and invited my Spanish teacher to lunch.  I was so happy to discover that it was the Argentinian Day of Amistad y Amor.  We had a lovely afternoon eating pupusas and laughing.  I learned the best Spanish word ever: Diosidente-not an accident, not a coincidence, but a God thing.  I'm hoping to recognize more diosidente moments in my life.

No comments: