Blog Archive

Thursday, July 22, 2021

Letter to Evan

Dear Evan/Elder Rippy,


A few weeks ago your Mom and sister (and cute Parynn) joined us on the houseboat on lake Powell.  I loved hearing your mom’s stories and perspective about being a missionary mom and about your experiences.  Because I did not get to serve and have not (yet) had a kid serve a mission, I love hearing the experiences of others.  Thank you for sending such amazing pictures.  Your herb garden pictures from the time of COVID were my favorite!  I’ve enjoyed reading about the people you have met, about your companions and your success learning the Portuguese language.   One of the things that I am beginning to understand is that missions are mostly work, with some fun and some spiritual experiences. I would love your advice on how I can best prepare to serve.  Here is what I’m doing so far:

1.   Learn not to judge people.  If I’m judgy, I will miss opportunities, make people feel             badly, and condemn myself.
2.   Study a foreign language 
3. Learn how to study with a companion, not just on my own.
4. Be OK with discomfort, like heat, homesickness and unfamiliar food
5. Get really good at hearing and following promptings of the Holy Ghost

I would love for you to add to my list.  Uncle Tony would be in a good position to be the mission Dr, and I could be the mission bossy-lady, because that is what I’m good at.  Sam (formerly Marcos) will graduate in 4 years, so that’s how much time we have to get ready.  

Next week we are headed up to WA for CSC.  I’m excited to ski, because it is not something I can not do in St George.  Even at Lake Powell we just surfed.  By the way, your sister Kate is getting darn good on the surf board!  I would show you pictures, but Tony dropped his phone in the bottom of the lake.  Here is a little update of our family, to get you ready for re-entry. :)

Uncle Tony:  really likes his new job at the VA in St George.  He has way fewer hours, holidays off and can spend lots of time playing racquetball and pickle ball.  He’s the Sunday school president in our ward and loves the hot weather.

Me:  I work at two elementary schools as a speech therapist.  I’ve met many nice friends and just got called to the nursery, my dream calling.  I don’t like the heat at all, but I just go to the pool a lot.  

Wilson:  has had the same job for 7 months as a plumber and is making good  money doing yucky work!  Wilson and his ex girlfriend are expecting a baby in December.  He still loves to play video games and drink beer :)

Cooper:  Engaged to be married to Jes next May.  Cooper works as a finance manager at a car dealership in Washington and hopes to own his own dealership some day.  He works long hours 6 days a week, but gets paid well and really enjoys what he does. Cooper and Jes own the world's dumbest dog, Brodie.  Brodie has it’s own emotional support animal, a cat named Mr Bean.  

Eliza:  Finished her first year of college at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix and is majoring in forensic psychology.  Eliza is excited for a grand adventure in Seoul Korea and leaves Sept 1, if her passport and visa come through.  She and Kate both still like long fake nails!

Max:  Ready for his senior year, graduation and getting the heck out of here.  Max spends a lot of time rapping and at the gym.   He is working on bulking up by eating ridiculous amounts of eggs and meat.  Max has had some rough patches over the last few years, but is trying hard and learning a lot. 
I’m so proud of your choice to serve a mission.  It has been a blessing for our whole family.  I will be at a wedding in Pennsylvania on the weekend you get home, so I’m hoping you would consider a road trip down to St George sometime this Fall so we can spend some time with you.  We hope you will bring O when you come, because Tony and I cannot get enough of that kid.  He is so hilarious and he loves to play pickle ball with Tony.  

Sam:  Starting his freshman year of HS.  Sam loves basketball.  He wants to play on the high school team really badly, but is only 5’5” which means he has to work really hard.  He tries to put up 100 shots a day, even in this miserable heat.  Sam misses Reggie the most and has been begging for a dog.  He loves to drive me crazy with weird hair styles.
y 5’5” which means he has to work really hard.

I’ve been studying 3 Nephi all summer and this week I’m in Chap 22.  These Isaiah chapters are really growing on me as I begin to understand how Jesus Christ is the pivot point.  He takes us from barrenness to fruitfulness, alienation to reconciliation and insecurity to security. I love reading how he will “with great mercies and everlasting kindness, gather all his people.  I keep getting my butt kicked by life and parenting.  I have no idea how to solve all the problems and complexities that I see around me,  but am more and more convinced that Jesus Christ is the only way.  Thanks for getting this message to people who so desperately need relief.  We can’t wait to see you.  Love you!

Aunt Kelly
 He tries to put up 100 shots a day, even in this miserable heat.  Sam misses Reggie the most and has been begging for a dog.  He loves to drive me crazy with weird hair styles.

No comments: