Blog Archive

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Deliberate disruption

We did it.  We uprooted our family after 19 years in St John to move to a place as opposite in landscape, people and stimulus as possible.  The reality has not set in, and neither have the emotions.  We are just in business mode trying to get everything done to start our new life.

I've felt like the kid at the fair that has been riding her favorite ride and the carnie is telling her to get off and give someone else a turn.  Like the kid, I just can't imagine that there are other great rides at the fair.  I'm so enamored with the one I was just one.  I know we are supposed to do this, but not one cell in my body wants to disrupt everything we worked so hard for.

What makes this move doable is the sure knowledge that Dr Pete and Melissa are coming.  The Hello/Goodby party was a great success and everyone fell in love with them.  I din't get the house as clean as I'd have liked, but I feel pretty good about what I left them.  The thing that made me so happy was that they have the mantle from Pete's childhood home that they would like to install in the living room.  It was one of the projects we never got done and I'm so glad they will do it.  The town is in good hands with Dr Pete.

It was good to have a full week to pack and prepare.  We loaded up on Monday night with the help of Dale and especially Jake and spent Tuesday enjoying our last day.  Denise Larsen brought us a picnic dinner which we ate for the last time on our porch and then we loaded in the truck and headed out of town.  I cried hard.

We stayed in Missoula that night and were off the next morning for Orem.  It was an uneventful trip, thankfully, and we spent a nice evening with Debbie and the kids.  On Thursday we arrived in St George a little after 1:00.  We went straight to Mom and Dad Rippy's where we unloaded their stuff, then went to our rental house and unloaded our stuff.  Then we had a big, greasy burger, fries and a milkshake, which we regretted immediately.  On Friday we spent the day unpacking a few things, registering the kids for school, and doing work stuff.  That night we had dinner at Uncle Rays and saw Wilson for the first time.  It's always hard to see Wilson when he is at the bottom of his cycle, but everyone was on their best behavior.  Saturday Tony and I went to Hurricane to buy a car.  Tony was totally inspired because it has been a life saver to have. 

Sunday we went to church in the rental ward and drove around looking at houses and trying to get inspiration.  We knew we would need it in our 4 hours with the realtor on Monday morning.  After dropping off the Jetta for a repair, we visited 5 houses.  Four were beautiful, big houses.  1 was a smaller house.  For investment  purposes it has a lot going for it:   High ceilings, beautiful finish work, new, giant RV garage, one level, super nice neighborhood.   It also has no yard :(  We are moving forward in faith.  Our choices seem limited because of the school district and I just keep reminding myself that it only has to be for 6 years. 

We said goodbye to Tony and he headed to the airport on the shuttle to wrap things up in St John and join us in 3 weeks.  We weren't meant to be apart, but I'm so thankful we are both healthy and capable to do this. 

No comments: