Blog Archive

Sunday, August 25, 2019

2 weeks on the surface of the sun



We have lived in St George Utah for just over 2 weeks and haven't spontaneously combusted.  The heat does bring out a new level of cranky for me, something I will require much effort and divine assistance to overcome.  There have been some high points, like Eliza going on a real date Friday night, finding a rec center to get our energy out, going shopping with Mom and my happy job.  There have been some low points like realizing we need to take on Wilson again, battling with Marcos over needs vs wants, and sleepless nights worrying about what friends and activities Max is choosing.  The biggest hard is being apart from Tony, although it has allowed me to focus a lot of attention on the kids.  I have become keenly aware how much the kids need their Dad for emotional support and attention.  Marcos talked to him for 40 minutes Friday night and we had to cut him off! 

We have decided to attend the ward where the new house is and I'm trusting that it is the place where we are needed and where we need to be.  It seems very affluent and I struggle trying not to judge.  I'm 47 years old and know that everyone has hard or will have hard.  Someone needs me here.  If I prematurely decide who it isn't, I won't know who it is. 

As a particularly special treat, Amy and Audrey came down on Saturday night.  It was so fun to see them and to just relax for a night.  We ate at Viva Chicken, hiked Dixie rock, toured the temple and visited Wilson.  Audrey and Amy make our family feel safe, like you can't do or say the wrong thing.   I think this is their spiritual gift.

We have made an offer on a house.  It is an expensive house, that we hope turns out to be a good investment.  It needs blinds, a yard, furniture.  I'm trying hard not to get overwhelmed.  It's just a house.  This will be an opportunity to exercise a lot of faith and trust and stay true to my desire for simplicity.  Nothing about the neighborhood says simplicity.  Nothing about the entire city of St George says simplicity or minimalism.  Except the temple.  The temple is my happy place.  Especially the cafeteria.

No comments: