Blog Archive

Monday, April 22, 2013

Normandy

Today we started early and climbed aboard a tour bus to head out of Paris. I was a little relieved to see that outside ofmParis there are normal suburbs and shopping malls. Our focus was the WWII history sights. Paris was occupied for 4 years by the Nazis when we joined the war. A whole lot of planning and preparation went into Dday including secret messages on the BBC, deceptions including fake paratroopers and tanks, and great loss of life. It is nearly impossible to imagine the noise, the fear and the devastation when standing on the beautiful beach. The attack was expected to last two weeks, but it lasted 100 days instead. Freeing the people was staggered; the allied forces just kept pressing on. I need to learn more about this war, as both my grandfathers participated. The cemetery where the American soldiers were buried is a beautiful, reverent place with crosses and stars of David made from pure white Italian marble. I was walking among the crosses and looked down to see the name of John Lundberg from Utah. It felt very personal to see my own name on a cross. It was a lovely day of touring on the comfortable double decker bus and I was glad for the break from walking after yesterday's marathon. This has been a once in a lifetime experience for which I am so grateful. However, I miss my husband and my kids and I'm ready to go home.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad





No comments: