Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

happy birthday hula lula

As a joke I suggested to Eliza that she have a Unicorn Birthday Party.  I thought for sure no 11 year old on the planet would ever want that.  Boy was I wrong!  There were at least eight 10 and 11 year old girls who thought a unicorn party was a great excuse to eat a lot of sugar and act very silly!  We decorated unicorn horns, (sugar cones) made unicorn poop (colored sugar cookie dough and sprinkles) and had a scavenger hunt for rainbows and unicorn eyelashes.  Eliza was very excited about her gift--a Nook.  Hopefully I'll never again have to hear the words, "Mom I finished my book and I have nothing to read!"  









Dear Eliza (or Elyza, as you have wanted to spell your name lately), 
Every year on your birthday I get to remember the phone call that announced your arrival and changed my life.  Everything got softer when you came home.  There was more pink and purple and your Daddy got even more sappier than ever.  You are as tough as your brothers, but add a special sweetness to our family.  I am so proud of you.    I like the way you are developing your athletic abilities and finding confidence in your strong body.  I like the way you brush off rude remarks about unibrows from your brothers with the confidence that you look great.  You don't engage in girl drama and have a wide group of friends.  You love your cousins.  You spoil Reggie and mother him like a baby.  Already you have been asked to come help babysit because you are a natural with children.  You are patient and kind and intuitive--just like Callie was at your age.    I love the way you work at your school work.  I know sometimes it is hard for you, but I see your good work ethic as one of your great strengths.  It is so fun to be the Mom of a beautiful girl like you.  I love you Hula Lula. 

No comments: