Blog Archive

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Church in hong kong

I don't know why my emotions are so close to the surface in this country. Any slight feeling of the spirit and I burst into tears. The church seems more true in foreign countries because the sacrifices are greater. It must be true to give so much up. I felt overwhelmingly that the gospel is simply loving people and that the church equalizes and unifies us. The people here at church have a very obvious joy and spirit. I have been missing the kids and today a sister gave a talk that humbled me to the core. She is one of an entire branch of Philipina sisters that have left their children at home to come work for another family, and for other children. I don't know anything about missing children by comparison. Her testimony was so pure. She started by thanking all the Fathers who are kind and gentle to their wives, which also humbled me greatly considering that my father, brothers and husband are among that category. The branch was getting a new branch president today--an ex-pat from Scotland. He bore a powerful testimony of the power of prayer and I could have listened to his accent all day. His wife masterfully taught principle after principle in her testimony. She expressed appreciation for her husband's patience in waiting for her to join the church for 12 years. Mom and Dad have tried to tell us about Sundays. It is impossible to understand unless experienced first-hand how sweet the Philipina sisters are and how hard their lives are. It is also impossible to understand what an unbelievable trek it is to get to church. We rode train after train, walked through at least three malls and through street after street. The business,noise and sheer energy exhaust me. It is a true miracle to see Mom do what she is doing. It seems like an impossibility, but there she is playing the organ and being a superstar to all the sisters. The missionaries that work with Mom and Dad love them. They seem to all get along and have formed that special relationship that comes from serving together. I loved getting to see Mom and Dad in action, but wish I could convince Mom of how great they are. Dad doesn't need convincing--like his children he thinks he is pretty great.

After church Mom made the best soup. I think it was the best meal we had our whole trip. I was really horrified at how much we ate when I saw how expensive food was. Mom and Dad are only becoming more expert at money saving while in Hong Kong.

We are on the plane home and I'm ready. This trip has been astounding. I have really done my bet job yet of living in the moment. My desire to live close to the spirit is stronger than ever. I want to be available to be in whatever country or place the Lord needs me. Right now that place is a small town on Eastern Washington with 5 children and 1 husband to nurture.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: