Blog Archive

Monday, May 5, 2008

strong women


The best part about being in my 30s is the realization that I can have a strong body. Before 30, I blame my Mom's robbed health, my lack of coordination, and absent competitive edge as reasons for being a wimpy girl. I regret the wasted years as a wimpy girl. I love being surrounded by strong women. For the girls I ride bikes with, a strong body goes hand in hand with emotional strength. All of them are incredible, get-things-done people who are infectious in their determination and optimism. The Mother's Day bike ride is such a highlight of my year, it's almost sacred. I was passing a friend when she started yelling, "moose, moose!" I thought she was name calling until I saw a momma and baby moose just a few feet away. We also saw eagles and blue herons in the most beautiful scenery. It was a perfect day, despite the fact that One Shot Charlie's did not serve french fries.

Last week I got to attend my third Kindergarten Mother's Day tea. Eliza, the smiliest girl in the class, the school and maybe the whole world, served me a piece of cake and a glass of punch and it was a priceless gift.

Apparently having five kids has lowered my standards and pushed me over the edge enough that my friends are beginning to notice (and worry). Two of my very kind friends in town kidnapped me last week and I am happy to report that I am no longer a pedicure virgin. It was more than a little uncomfortable for several reasons. First, my feet are truly disgusting and I was embarrassed beyond words. Secondly, the women who performed the pedicure were Vietnamese and sat on little stools visibly lower than the large padded and elevated throne where I sat. I did not like the visible class distinction of that set up. I know it is irrational, as these women were making a good living doing this, it just felt awkward. With that said, I really felt grateful to my friends for such a kind gesture and Max said my bright red toenails looked like strawberries.

Tonight for Family Home Evening we worked on our garden boxes. The weather has finally been warm and it made me so happy to see all five of my kids get really dirty. Even our little "Squatemalan" is mobile and confident enough to get into the action.

I'm looking forward to Mother's Day. Despite the fact that all of my kids will eventually need therapy as a result of being raised by a crazy person, my five miracles bring my happiest moments, with the exception, of course, of the annual Mother's Day Bike Ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have such a CUTE blog!!!

(i found yours through ldswomenblogs)

Merrianne Call