Blog Archive

Sunday, May 18, 2008




The temperature hit 90 and the Lundbergs hit the the lake. After such a long winter the Lundbergs have declared that summer has officially begun. That means that if Brother Kenneth Workman is coming to Rock Lake to fish, Cooper gets out of school to accompany him. It also means less formal meals, later bedtime and NO media. It was a really pretty day at Boyer Park with the Kolbs and Workmans (minus Betina). Tony is the only one crazy enough to ski in 52 degree water, but everyone enjoyed quick dips in the frigid water and the new hot shower. There was a painful sunburn lesson learned by two boys who refused sunscreen, so I doubt we'll have to remind them again all summer.

Wilson had a hard week. Wednesday was the anxiety producing event of a band concert. The band teacher told the kids that the concert started at 7:30, so 7:30 is all Wilson heard. It didn't occur to Wilson that he needed to be at school before 7:30 to get his instrument or music ready, because he only thinks one step at a time. So at 7:26 when I brought the babysitter, Wilson was sitting at the computer in his sweatpants. Love and Logic would have told me to let him miss his concert and use the word "bummer" a lot with heartfelt empathy. Instead I started shrieking like a halloween witch on Meth and drove his sorry butt to the school at law-breaking speeds. Furthermore, school has become more tedious than ever and missing assignments have increased again. That means Mom's frustration level skyrockets (here comes the barking Chihuahua again) and the battles begin. To top it off Wilson showed poor judgment and really frightened Eliza's little friend Roxy. I get so upset by these these incidents that I immediately assume that Wilson is a pathological bully who enjoys watching children cry. After a lot of prayer and phone calls to my rational husband (always on call when these things happen) I regained rational thought. Wilson occasionally does stupid things that get him in a lot of trouble and make me feel like the world's worst parent, but he isn't a mean boy. Thankfully, he felt very badly, wrote apology notes to both Roxy and her parents and even took the little girls out to ice cream. It didn't hurt that Roxy's Dad is his baseball coach and firmly mentioned that "if he ever scared his little girl again, he'd have to hurt him." I don't think there will be a next time. The older Wilson gets the more I feel that shift of influence from Tony and I to other adults in his life. It is a scary feeling.

Marcos is grumpy lumpy. It may have to do with the huge molars jabbing through his poor little gums. He went to nursery for the first time today and when I went up to check on him, he was fast asleep. Thank goodness for Audrey.

I can't convince Max to wear cool clothing. He is such a creature of habit that he puts his winter clothes on despite the onset of warm weather. The image I will have permanently etched in my mind is Max in his yellow duck boots riding pell-mell down the street on his little red scooter. I will almost be sorry when he learns to ride his bike. At least he'll still have his duck boots.

Cooper is all about fishing. He is feeling a little sad about the news that his best friend Noah is moving, but seems to have no paucity of friends. He and I are sinking deeper into our sugar addiction. We've added Swedish Fish to our list of indulgences.

The kids just got back from flying kites at the park. The breeze blowing through the windows is straight from heaven. The house is a wreck, Marcos is naked, Tony is asleep on the couch. What a lovely Sunday.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Beautiful writing Kelly. I'm going to have to call you later. There's so much to talk about. Summer officially began for us on Saturday too. I even skiied!