Blog Archive

Sunday, May 11, 2008

log fight-log wins




Tony is at the "three strikes, you're out" injury level at scouting activities. Two years ago he nearly lost his eye (pupil is still dilated) during a freak tube rope accident on the boat. Last year he nearly died of pneumonia during the white water rafting activity and this year he broke his nose when it made a rather abrupt stop on a log. He promises it looks worse than it feels but with two black eyes and a swollen forehead, he can't be feeling that great.

Despite all the suffering, he and Wilson had a great time. The following is Tony's account:

We went on a 5 mile hike, up 2100 feet to a hot springs called Stanley Hot Springs. We were on the last leg of the journey, and we had to trek through snow, and cross a river. We made a rope bridge...walking on a log and steadying ourselves with a rope that was tied to trees at each side of the river. After passing over the main log (With a full pack), I had to walk over another 10 foot shorter log. I started to slip, and instead of trying to steady myself I tried to leap/step onto an adjacent log. The log was farther down than I thought. So prior to my foot hitting the other lower log to stop my fall, my nose/head hit the first log. It was the most awful sound...ÇRUNCH. I began to bleed from both nostrils, and I quickly examined the damage. I was obviously conscious (good sign), and none of my limbs were broken (also good sign). My nose self exam showed good alignment, and it almost felt straighter than before (yea, right). The nose had a couple of abrasions on the outside, and the bridge of my nose began to swell precipitously. Someone filled a ziplock bag with snow and I tried to keep it in place while I hiked the last mile in the snow. I got to camp, put up the tent in the dark and found Wilson had been sitting in the hotsprings for the past hour. After setting up the tent and sleeping bags, Wilson and I both prayed. I prayed that I would be able to continue to breathe through both of my nostrils in order to sleep well, and my prayer was answered. I did not had any breathing difficulties. We got to bed and slept through a fairly cold night (off and on), and then woke up to a beautiful morning. We again took a couple hour dip in the Hot Springs and then broke camp. What an adventure. It was definately worth it.

Wilson's account:
I went on the rope bridge--it was easy but my dad did have some problems. :/ we got cold but we overcame it in the end. :) my camel pack was leaking:( and I got wet and cold:< we found ticks in everyones hair except me. We burned the ticks with a match but when I told my mom she was scared to sleep with dad. !) In the hot springs there was a lot of yellow green bubbly algae. Some of it was just plain slimy. Ben threw some in my hair when I was sleeping in the stream:( We used a space blanket to make a dam so we would have a hot tub. The next night in my bed was the best sleep of my life.

Eliza and I took Mom to lunch and out shopping on Friday for Mother's Day. She found some cute church clothes and Eliza had a great time trying on all the high heeled shoes. Speaking of shoes, I wore bright red, patent leather, 4-inch heels to church today. It bordered on obnoxious, but it was my mother's day assertion that being a Mormon is fun, being a Mom is fun and I am determined to live every minute of life outloud.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Poor, poor Tony. Thank goodness he's lived to tell another tale.