Blog Archive

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Spiritually defining moments

I composed a lesson today challenging all the Relief Society sisters to record a spiritually defining moment.  I want to accept my own challenge.  It has caused some reflection, because typically I enjoy a gift of faith that is inherent and innate.  It’s like the sun rising, more than a lightbulb turning on.  I don’t remember ever not having a knowledge of a God, a belief in the Savior, or an understanding of priesthood power.  


My spiritually defining moments have been time of personal revelation when communication with my Heavenly Parents was easy.  Not the acting part, which is always challenging.  Just the part where I know with surety that God has told me something and that something is true.  It’s so true that it can coexist with doubts, unexpected results, and intense criticism from others.


My paramount experience, the first time I experienced perfect clarity, was when I asked about marrying Tony.  The communication was clear because all other options disappeared and there was only one choice.  It wasn’t even a choice I wanted, but it was the only one. 


Once I was taught about temple symbolism from a story in the Old Testament in such a profound way that every time I think about it I get chills.   


I have had several, instances of insight, when I identify my own unhealthy behaviors and beliefs.  The correction comes from friends or therapists, but the realization of truth that pierces my heart and soul comes from the spirit.  This process of repentance, where I can do better because now I know better, is a spiritually defining experience for me.  Repentance connects me to Heaven. 

No comments: