Blog Archive

Sunday, May 29, 2016

mothers day

Mothers Days in the past have been some of my worst days.  I've run away to Steptoe Butte, cried my eyes out and felt bitterness and anger that my mothering experience isn't what I planned it to be.  Not this year.  Now that I've let go of expectations, Mother's Day is a beautiful, happy day.  On Saturday my friend Denise and I took a Mothers Day bike ride on my favorite trail.  The weather was glorious and my friend Denise is one my my most inspiring friends.  On Sunday, Mom and Dad came for church and dinner and Wilson joined us.  It was a peaceful day, not a perfect day.  Mom shared the stories of her special dolls that Eliza now has.  Tony was also very proud that he had remembered to order a gift 2 weeks in advance, a Byu workout t shirt.  Yesterday Mom took all the girls to lunch at the flying goat.  It was so nice to see cute pregnant Stacey and catch up on the nieces and nephews.  

Tony was released last week as Bishop, just short of 5 years.  I guess that was a pretty sweet mother's day gift too.






















 



Wedding Doll—When I was 5 years old Santa brought me a doll. It was a Tony doll and I
thought it was very special. My grandmother was a beautiful seamstress and made her into a bride doll. Later Elda Rippy added pearls and lace and the doll sat at the sign-in table at Kelly’s wedding reception in Spokane. I remember playing with her only infrequently, because she was a treasure.

The crocheted dress doll was sent for a birthday. Grandma (Ellen) Frederickson crocheted the dress and all the detailed petticoats and under drawers.

Aunt Zelpha Frederickson sent the pixie doll. She sat in my room on the headboard.
Sugar britches is a porcelain doll that Grandma Rippy gave to each of her daughters in law and granddaughters. The couple that made the doll mold were divorced and could not agree on who should have the mold, so they broke it. Kelly dressed it in an antique gown she discovered in the house she and Tony lived in their 4th year of marriage in Spokane.


No comments: