Blog Archive

Sunday, December 27, 2015

still, still, still

We will remember this Christmas as the most picturesque of my lifetime.  The snow looked like marshmallow cream on the trees and the snow fell gently all day with no wind and the perfect winter temperature.  There was a full moon.  The beautiful snow and moon seemed to make our happy traditions even more magical.

We began Christmas Eve at the ice skating rink, with the cousins.  I brought reindeer antlers this year so there were a lot of skating reindeer on the ice.  One Christmas miracle was that my cousin Kimberly's kids were supposed to be with their Dad and not able to come.  At the last minute, they put up such a fuss, Dad gave in and they joined us.  We also had Uncle Dale and Aunt Nancy and their daughter Erin's kids for the first time this year.  We missed the Hamiltons and the Leavitts. It is always so great to see how everyone has grown and share delicious soup

We spent the afternoon at Cam and Jill's sledding and playing Jeff's new game "Epidemic."  Traditional dinner, beautiful program, Men's choir, musical numbers and new pajamas.  This year we took everyone to the mall and had them pick new sweatshirts and sweatpants.  It made things a much easier, and we had a fun day at the mall together.  I was questioning whether the Star Wars was appropriate for Christmas, when one cousin piped up, "Jesus loves Star Wars!"  I only had Marcos participate in the nativity--as the star--everyone else was a Heavenly Host.  I loved giving all my nieces and nephews boxes of sugar cereal!  The best gift of all was the announcement from Jeff and Stacey that they are expecting.  I am so happy for another baby in our family.

When we got home I pulled out new flannel sheets for everyone.  We were expecting a new bed for mom and dad, but the delivery truck slipped off the road.  Mom and Dad slept on a mattress on the floor and Cooper had the bean bag.  Marcos and I had read Aunt Chelsea's new book and had made a plan to have Marcos help play the role of Santa.  He took this job very seriously.  He peeled carrots and then carefully took bites.  He set out cookies and then nibbled the edges.  He drank the milk, he jingled the bells.  He used the broom to simulate reindeer hooves on the roof.  He loved being a part of it.  Aunt Chelsea has helped preserve the magic of Christmas with her clever book!

On Christmas Day the kids were lined up on the stairs by 8:00.  We exchanged and opened gifts and had a lot of happy kids.  Everyone is excited for the trip to Mexico and the Swagway was a big hit too.  Tony and I had a good run and Eliza made us breakfast.  We had a lovely visit to Louis and Lorena White, our neighbor, who is recently out of the hospital.  We met Mom and Dad downtown and settled into our recliners with boxes of popcorn, M&Ms and 3D glasses.  The Star Wars fans loved the movie.  Some of us just endured it, but liked the company.  We had a yummy BBQ steak dinner that night with Mom and Dad.

Unexpectedly Wilson and Stephanie joined us.  It was the only part of Christmas that Wilson joined us on.  We had last seen him on the 23rd when he brought the rig home.  He was chain smoking and swearing and so agitated we didn't feel safe having him sleep in our home.  He stayed the night in the hotel downtown.  It is so painful to watch the train wreck unfolding.  I had been prepared in my scripture study earlier in the day to testify of two things.  First, that Wilson is a good boy.  Second, that he knows the difference between right and wrong.  I will just keep testifying of those principles over and over.  Grandma and Grandpa were so good at showing unconditional love.  They are a tremendous blessing to us.

Despite my heartbreak over Wilson, God blessed me with so much peace this December.  I lived in the moment more than I ever have before.  Sometimes the peace in our home brought tears to my eyes.  I know every good thing comes because of the birth of Jesus Christ.  I know He is the only way to feel long-term happiness and peace.  I am thankful for a whole season to think of Him.






















No comments: