Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

dear eliza

Dear Eliza,
Last night you cried and cried. It was an overwhelming night. When I came to snuggle you into bed you told me that you feel invisible. You said you feel like you are "made of air" and that no one can see you.

My beautiful girl. I've felt that feeling before. You (and I) are kind of socially unsophisticated. We sometimes don't understand complex girl relationships and interactions and we can feel left out. I know it is easier and more comfortable to play with the boys, but that the older you get the less accepted that is.

What can I do to help you? What skills could I teach you? How can I convince you that your smile and personality are impossible not to see. You can't be ignored when you are kind and gentle. You aren't invisible when you find someone to help or befriend. I wish I could teach you early not to get caught up in the thick of thin things. I know these are grown up pieces of advice hard for a nine year old girl to understand.

If Grandma were here I think she would suggest we go shopping for something bright and sparkly and amazing. Something that helps you stand out in a crowd until you can have the confidence to do it on your own.

I love you HulaLula,
Mom

No comments: