Blog Archive

Sunday, May 29, 2011

dandalion war

We went hiking yesterday to my favorite trails in White Pine Idaho. We were without camera so I was taking a ton of mental snapshots and devising word pictures. Before we hiked, we stopped at a decrepit and flooded park in Princeton Idaho to stretch our legs. The field was covered in dandylions and what started with a simple tossed flower turned into an all-out dandylion war. I taught the kids the warcry, "Mama had a baby and her head popped off!" as we beheaded bunches of those bright yellow weeds. Then we laughed ourselves silly when Eliza asked very seriously, "whose head popped off, the mama or the baby?" The hike was beautiful, with plenty of mud puddles to stomp through and mushrooms to spot. At the end of our hike we spent almost an hour with bottles of bubbles contesting who could keep their bubble airborne the longest.

There were also moments when the kids were bickering, Wilson was bullying, Eliza was shrieking, or Marcos was whining. I was disappointed not to get any yard work done and we weren't very healthy eaters thanks to Tony's maple bar spree at the Harvest Food Center. Still, when I checked in with my Heavenly Father in prayer and closed my eyes for the night, the day was deemed a success.

Today my kids spent most of their time after church caring for three baby birds that had fallen out of the tree.
They dropped water in their mouths with cotton balls and laboriously mutilated worms to feed them. I give the poor things 24 more hours until death, but it won't be from lack of loving effort from the Lundberg kids.

No comments: