Blog Archive

Sunday, December 27, 2009

christmas-the second half


One of the greatest overt demonstrations of love and affection that I've ever made for my oldest son was to sit through a three hour 3D movie featuring blue, naked, ten-foot aliens. Wilson's date turned he, Tony and I into official Avatards. It was a great night remembering how to enjoy a 13 year old teenager.

Eliza's date was a little disappointing. The ice skating rink was closed for the hockey team so we did a little rock climbing then let Eliza spend the ice skating money on herself. She bought a locking diary. It was purple and included a feathered pen. I don't think she was disappointed at all.


Between the gingerbread men and the rocky road the house smelled delicious the week before Christmas. Tony did the mallow and I dipped the chocolates. It's my favorite way to remember my Grandma and Grandpa. Poor Grandma Abuelita fell and broke her hip and arm this week. At 96 I'm not sure she really wants to do a big rehab ad I'm sorry she has to be in so much pain.


Grandma and Grandpa flew in from Arizona for a week this Christmas. We took them to dinner and a movie and enjoyed a whole evening of having them all to ourselves. We've figured out that Dad works in the same office where we picked Wilson up 13 years ago. He has been busy and both Mom and Dad are clearly enjoying their time in Mesa.



Christmas Eve was beautiful and traditional. Marcos was our Joseph, Max was a wise man (he thought I said white man and disagreed) and Eliza was an angel delivering the tidings of great joy. Cooper and Wilson were the monotone teenage Heavenly Hosts. I have perfected the vegetable Christmas tree and would like to attempt to try a fruit tree next year.









Santa came this year despite the children's general naughtiness. He'd asked the boys to pay for half of their gifts because the ipods they wanted were out of budget. There was a parent-pleasing amount of gratitude this year. It has helped me remember that less is more when it comes to Christmas gifts.

No comments: