Blog Archive

Sunday, November 22, 2009

panic confession humiliation

This week Tony and I suffered a financial panic attack. Poor planning? Yes? Circumstances beyond our control? Yes. Overwhelming? Yes Yes Yes. I reacted in my usual bare-my-soul approach to crisis. I called Dave Ramsey and announced our financial situation on national syndicated radio. In my defense, I did attempt to disguise my voice with a clever southern accent, but that didn't stop several people I know from recognizing "Kelly from Spokane." Davey (we are now on first name basis) gave sound advice: take out a small loan and pay the bills, stop the project, and never, ever make this mistake again. This means no carpet or banisters on the stairs until we are solvent again. For peace of mind, I can live with that. At least my reaction wasn't as bad as Tony's. He was doing crazy talk and suggested we cash out the 401K at 50% penalty. Not an option.

The Bishop cancelled church today. It was puzzling, because it didn't seem like the roads were that bad, but we did enjoy having a sacrament meeting with our little St John branch.

Tony has been on-call all weekend. Thanks to the unreasonable demands of power hungry nazi-nurses, he has the pleasure of staying in the hospital for four days straight. To his surprise, the same partner who publicly betrayed his trust and questioned his medical prowess, offered to "cover for him" so he could go home for a few hours on Saturday. Tony responded very much out of character with, "are you kidding me? After our last meeting I wouldn't leave the hospital unless I was dead!" I love my sassy doctor.

Jeff came down yesterday and helped me finish spackling and sanding trim. I was really grateful for the help. Cam says we paint next week. I think I won't have ever enjoyed paint fumes so much.

No comments: