Blog Archive

Sunday, November 15, 2009

blessed by friends



My friend Patti came on Monday and within the space of a little over an hour, lifted my spirits immeasurably. She walked through my house and yard with a steady stream of ideas, compliments and validation. The overwhelmed feeling I've had for six months abated (for at least the day) and was replaced by anticipation for spring and the end of the construction. Later that night I joined friends from book group for a charming evening of dinner and a lecture by a Northwest author. Adult conversation and intellectual stimulation paired with really good French Onion soup nearly brought me to tears.

On Thursday Andrea came and in two short hours validated my whining and complaining with total empathy. Like a true best friend she confirmed that I should be crazy living in the destruction zone. Plus, she helped me pick out paint colors, an invaluable service.

Yesterday the Workmans came for our first annual "Greedy Pilgrim Feast." Betina took our family pictures (the woman has the patience of Job) and then we played games until the feast. We ate chicken pot pie, lemon merengue pie, coconut cream pie, chocolate chip mint ice cream pie, Hershey Bar pie, pumpkin pie, and of course, apple pie. I think it was the first pot pie my kids have ever had and they were in heaven. It felt so nice to be having a fun night with friends who never once mentioned how disgusting my floor was, how dusty every inch of the house was, or the fact that shoes had to remain on so no one got a nail through their foot.

Of all my blessings, friends were the things I was most grateful for this week. That and a beautiful first snow on Friday.

No comments: