Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

no school, no pool

The good news is that it is summer. The bad news is that the pool is broken. Let me repeat. The pool, the sanity saving element of summer, is NOT OPEN. This is testing my motherhood skills to their very limit. In order to survive, I am relying heavily on the summer schedule I put together as well as gallons and gallons of ice cream. The kids are coping by lots of reading (this is good) and jumping in the sprinklers on the trampoline (also good) as well as sneaking downstairs to watch TV (not good) and developing extensive dried worm collections (not good, see attached photo).
After struggling to find our summer mojo, we finally achieved a sort of zen last Thursday. The kids had chores done and lunches packed by 9:00, so we did "money jobs" for the rest of the morning. They were excited about the summer goal punch cards I'd made (thanks to Betsy's great idea) and self initiated practicing their piano or working on scouts or cutting quilt blocks until "mandatory rest hour". Since it was Thursday craft day (oh yes, I said craft day), my three big kids spent the afternoon painting ceramic dishes. Then we made burritos, grabbed a few extra kids and went to the lake. We had no swimming suits, towels, or life jackets which didn't stop anyone from getting in the water. Our neighbor Skip and a few of his slightly inebriated fishing buddies from town were there with their big ol' plontoon party boat and offered to take us for a spin around the lake. We came home and made nutella smores to top off a near perfect evening.

Friday while Wilson was on a wood cutting Boy Scout Campout I took the kids roller blading on the Chipman Trail. I can't wait to do it again, this time with a stoller without a flat tire and Eliza on a bike. We ended the day at the dollar store where the kids purchased taboo items such as swords, guns and press on glamour nails with diamonds.
Zen is short lived at the Lundberg House of Construction and the usual chaos returned in full force within 24 hours. I am happy to report a functioning tub and shower upstairs as well as a toilet and sink downstairs. My new remodel dream is to brush my teeth somewhere other than the bathtub within the next 6 months. Cameron keeps leading me on with the phrase, "we are so close to drywall." I have to repeat to myself often that this was all my idea and that someday I won't be hauling laundry up and down stairs. The electrician is coming tomorrow to add a second electric panel (unforeseen expenditure) to power the heat pump (unforeseen expenditure) in the attic. I have to admit from the outside it is starting to look awesome.>
Wilson has had a few opportunities for work this summer that have been great teaching lessons. He mowed a lawn for the neighbor across the street, but left a lot of dead grass and mohawks. The neighbor came over to pay him and to mention that the job was substandard. Wilson, on his own, returned half the money and fixed his mistakes. Although my pride was ruffled, the neighbor was so kind to emphasize that this was not about the grass, but about the boy, and it turned out to be a great experience. The next time he mowed, he did a much better job and earned more money. I learned the important principle that correcting our mistakes is way more important than preventing them from happening. Today I gave him the opportunity to shovel pig crap and mow an eternal lawn at my friend Sara's house. Teaching children to work is some of the hardest work I've ever done--ironic.

I forgot to get a good picture of Tony on Father's Day, but his grey hair is becoming more pronounced and more handsome. We celebrated the day with Mom and Dad and a pile of T-bone steaks. We presented Tony with a fancy flashlight and document signed by every member of our family promising to never touch the sacred light source. He was ecstatic.

This same awesome Dad spent a day with Cooper at cub scout day camp where Cooper discovered a latent love of archery. With the encouragement of several prominent males in his life, he has spent a hefty chunk to purchase a compound bow. He is also obsessed with tennis right now as he prepares for lessons next week. Cooper's plan-ahead brain and serious approach to life is fascinating to watch.

No comments: