Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

stop splashing

I went for a long walk on Sunday. It was dark and the stars were just coming out; lovely cool weather. I stopped on our foot bridge and watched the water tumbling in the creek and was reminded of Elder Bednar's stream analogy. He said following the spirit is like jumping into a cold river on a hot day. The first few times in, the temperature is shocking. After a while we get used to it and the longer we float in the river, it feels refreshing and comfortable.

For whatever reason I have been blessed with a life that has allowed me to feel the spirit often. After 37 years, I think I'm basically in the river, following the spirit most of the time. The problem is the splashing. I feel constantly compelled to expend vast amounts of energy frantically splashing and flailing as I move downstream. I have the mistaken idea that my efforts are somehow helping me go the right direction. But I am already going the right way. My splashing is a useless waste of energy. It wears me out and prevents me from enjoying the scenery, the ride, the refreshing cool water.

The message on the bridge was clear. This year I must learn to stop splashing.

No comments: