Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

shining shoes








































Today is Wednesday which means, according to my summer schedule, it is service day. The problem is, I didn't have anything planned. I thought we would call it good by filling up a bag with food for the food bank and considered service day over by dinner time. Tony had high council tonight in Moscow so I loaded everybody up and thought I'd take them to a movie while he went to his meeting. Sadly, both batteries were dead in the rig and we couldn't get it started for anything. Just when I was reaching my height of crabbiness the missionaries showed up looking tired, discouraged and hungry. We abandoned ship and went inside to scrounge up meatball sandwiches and watermelon for the hungry elders. Tony left for his meeting and the Elders gave the kids a great lesson on faith. On a whim, I grabbed the shoe shine kit and had the kids polish the missionaries shoes. The kids were really happy to serve and and the elders were so cute with their effusive gratitude. Service day turned into something way better than I imagined. How can I be 36 and still amazed that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers.

I should have prayed a lot more yesterday. I took the kids and the canoe out to Rock lake fishing for our field trip and it took a 20 mile bike ride--alone-- to recover.

A fascinating experience happened at the pool yesterday. During a conversation with a woman in town I was struck with the clear realization that she does not like me. I am so dumb, so oblivious to most people's attempts to communicate dislike that I was really surprised with the revelation. But even more importantly, my great epiphany was that I DIDN"T CARE. I felt no compulsion to change her mind. What a refreshing and liberating feeling. I tend to err on the side of being a people pleaser so the whole experience was just wonderful.

Tomorrow Wilson is 12. 12 years ago I had no idea that my hay bucking, trampoline flipping, door slamming, boundary testing, spinach eating baby boy had even arrived. He's the hardest, most beautiful thing I've ever done.

2 comments:

Betina said...

Well, I like you, I don't care what everyone else says... :)

And I also really like Wilson. Happy BD to Wilson Watermelon!

Letty said...

What a unexpected great turn for the better service day. I wish some of my more unplanned, crazy days woudl have evolved so well.

As for your likability...The lady must be disturbed to NOT like you...I can't imagine. You really are such a great person to be around.

Happy b-day Wilson...can you believe you have a pre-teen on your hands???