Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

bipolar weather

We've gone from shorts to parkas in 24 hours. The suspense of the weather is killing me. We never know what season we will wake up to.

Eliza shared a profound thought yesterday. Mondays are the day when she and Max are best buddies and play beautifully together. It only seems to happen on Mondays, but it is enchanting to watch. I asked if she would like to mop the floor with me and she smiled and said, "Mommy, Max and I are very busy doing things we love!" I thought about it all day and tried to be busy doing the same.

Last Monday I came to the realization that I could not live another day with carpet in the kitchen. I start dry heaving when I think of the filth mashed into this heinous carpet. Thankfully, my little brother Cameron came to the rescue. He and I marched into Ziggy's home improvement center last week and requested the cheapest laminate flooring. I bought 23 boxes and Cameron and his employees came the next day to lay it. They laid it right over the top of the barfy carpet. Yesterday I vacuumed and mopped and then sat on the floor admiring the hygenic cleaness of it all. I haven't given up my dream of a central vac with hard wood floors, I just realized I could be happy right now with a less expensive, more realistic dream. Now Marcos entertains himself for large chunks of time in the kitchen, a car in each hand, zooming around and around the island and up and down the walls.

Sunday I got a parenting payoff, albeit a little one. I served Indian food for dinner, Chicken in spicy Indian sauce with Naan bread and steamed broccoli. My kids wolfed it down and Wilson commented, "Mom this is good, but it would really be delicious with chick peas!" Hooray for no picky eaters (aka very hungry children) at my house.

3 comments:

Letty said...

Very impressive...maybe I could take tips. My kids seemed to have developed a picky stage currently. I'm not sure if this is a reflection of my cooking, or just their mood swings?

Carlotta said...

I am pleased to meet you. =)I am EXTREMELY flattered by your comment. WOW General Conference. I'm blushing in my seat. I have become quite passionate about adoption and find it SO hard that "I" cannot convince anyone of anything especially when I see so many of my friends struggling to have children and their hearts are breaking. I'm greatful that I could make one of my friends happy and give Calli the world. That is all that matters. It is so hard to be a single parent and to want to SHAKE these kids and wonder what the heck they think they are getting themselves into. Nobody can tell you until you are in the middle of it. I have to remind myself that I will share my story as I will and if there is soil that is prepared to receive it then that is all that matters. I cannot expect such a precious seed to grow and prosper in rocky, scratchy , unnourished soil. I am amazed by birth mothers. I am fascinated by them. Which is odd since I am one. Can't say that I am fascinated and amazed with myself. I guess it works that way. Life is unique. Again thank you for your sweet comment. Who the HECK knows where this life will take me, oh yeah Heavenly Father does. =) Have a Good Day.

molly said...

Chickpea hummus goes very well with indian cuisine. Yum. Smart move on the laminate floor! I bless your brother. Yay for you!