Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

mom's retreat


It's great to spend a retreat weekend with friends and when all is said and done, come to the same conclusion: next year we don't shop, we go to Africa. The greatest thing I gained from this weekend of shopping was a great desire to simplify my wardrobe and home to the point that it requires minimal thought and even more minimal shopping. I feel I have already embraced the internet for all our home and clothing needs, but after this weekend, I am more determined than ever to reduce and simplify.

A highlight of the weekend was going to the Salt Lake Temple for the first time. The live session has given me several new insights. Besides letting us stay at the Solitude condo, Chelsea made the whole trip worth it by letting us do the equivalent of thrift store shopping at her Shade store in American Fork. It felt like old times with Andrea and Betsy and brought back a lot of memories of "the hunts" we used to do at the Thrift Center in Spokane. Overall the weekend was really relaxing. It was nice to have a change in routine, rejuvinate, refocus and reconnect. It was equally nice to come home and realize again that my kids do great without me and my husband is wonderful.

The leprechan did remember to come this year for St Patrick's Day and strung our house up with string from top to bottom. I made(OK burned) the traditional corned beef and cabbage, as well as the rainbow parfaits I saw in Family Fun magazine. Note to self for next year: instant pistachio pudding if kept in the cupboard for over 5 years does go rancid and tastes very much like playdoh. Next year I'll use Cool Whip with green food coloring.

Today I had my first official bike ride of the year. I only did 10 miles but since I was pulling a very whiny Max in the trailer through freezing cold wind and hail, I'm counting it as 20 miles.

Cooper got to spend the night with Grandma and Grandpa for his birthday while I was in Utah. This is his report:

We went to Zip's for dinner on Friday night. I had a double patty burger and a chocolate fudge milkshake. It is good, I recommend it. I watched Karate Kid with Grandpa that night--it was a funny movie. On Saturday Grandpa made me pancakes with rotten milk. They smelled like fish. Grandpa said I had to finish the pancakes or the milk, so I finished the milk, but it was sick! After breakfast we looked up Cabelas in the phone book, but it wasn't there. We found it at Cabela's on-line and the picture was awesome. At Cabela's we saw a lot of deer and moose heads. There was a gargantuan fish aquarium. There was a lot of shooting games. I bought two pocket knives. Grandpa thought it was one of the best deals in the store, buy one get one free. My Grandma and Grandpa are so nice.

1 comment:

molly said...

What are the basics of a simplified wardrobe? ..with matching shoes and bag? Is that your goal, 20 miles on the bike, or more? Do you service your own bike? You are a good role model so I am just wondering how you do what you do. :)