Blog Archive

Thursday, July 26, 2007

rollercoasters and diving boards

Maxwell, my son who has been highly cautious of the swimming pool and lake, announced on Tuesday, "Hey Mom watch me put my face underwater!" To my shock, he held his nose and dipped in. He then announced, "I'm ready to go off the diving board." He hesitated just minute then jumped into my arms. I was shocked but laughed my head off when he climbed out of the pool, walked directly to the lifegaurd, and requested a popsicle. He had been working up to this jump ever since the early June swimming lessons when all the other kids got popsicles for going off the diving board. I learned a lot about Max's personality from this experience. I must let him do things on his own time. He reminds me much of Cooper. 

 When I was putting Wilson to bed the other night he told me he'd had difficulty sleeping and the scriptures had been running over and over in his mind. He said two years ago he'd asked Heavenly Father if the church was true but he'd had no answer. While he was thinking about the scriptures he had feeling, "kind of like going on a roller coaster at Disneyland, only better." I've never heard the Holy Ghost described this way, but it was pretty accurate for an 11 year old boy. Less than 24 hours later he did a sneaky, peaky, dishonest thing that earned him the chance to work for the neighbor lady for a couple of hours in the blazing heat for free. As Grandma Chocolate used to say, "When he was good he was very very good, but when he was bad, he was horrid!" 

 I've survived another Enrichment event. This time we had a pool party and BBQ: chicken, tabboulah, greek salad and pita and hummus. People seemed to like it and it wasn't a very stressful meal. One week to the family reunion--We are getting excited

2 comments:

Betina said...

It was an AWESOME meal, and the chicken was very very hot, fresh off the grill onto my plate.

You should post the recipies for the Taboulah (sp?) and the marinade. I loved it all!

andrea said...

So is Wilson's work for the neighbor lady the parenting moment I am still waiting to hear about?

Max is just too cute. Love how he marched over to the lifeguard to get his popsicle.