Blog Archive

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas Blessing

I saw the Savior twice this month. I didn't see his face. I saw two poignant Christ-like behaviors and recognized Him in two special people.

One Saturday Wilson was angry, agitated and defeated. His broken brain was more than he could handle. He was overwhelmed with lost privileges, failed classes and demotions. After shattering glass all over my bedroom and chasing me down in the car to hurl epithets, he curled up on the couch in fetal position and gave up. I was too hurt and afraid to show him compassion or kindness. Cooper could. Coop packed up Wilson's basketball clothes, gave him the Gatorade he had bought for himself and gently persuaded him onto the sports bus, minutes before departure. He did this with no expectation of gratitude, no acknowledgment of his kindness and only meanness in return. It was an act of pure love, like the Good Samaritan.

10 minutes before his basketball game, Wilson's anxiety shut him down again. He threw his jersey in the locker room and walked out of the gym. His behavior was inexcusable.  The coach came by the house late that night. I expected to hear anger, yelling and Wilson getting kicked off the team. Instead I saw the coach open his arms wide and embrace Wilson. With undeserved compassion, he gave Wilson a second chance and told him he would see him at practice on Saturday.

I saw the Savior when I saw unmerited, unreciprocated, unconditional love and kindness. I saw the Savior with the offer of a second chance. I saw mercy. I saw grace. I saw Jesus Christ this Christmas.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: