Blog Archive

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Nauvoo

We have come to the end of our trip. Now we ask the serious question, "was it worth it?" At least three times today the answer was a resounding yes. Tony and I got up with the sun and enjoyed a magnificent session at the Nauvoo temple. I loved the needlepoint and artwork and the rich dark woodwork and furniture. I got muddled at the veil this morning and had to smile when the temple worker said with a smile, "try again." How did she know that is a family motto of ours?

We spent the morning exploring Nauvoo, getting a cookie at the bakery, a ring at the blacksmith, a brick at the kiln. We picnicked as a glorious midwestern rainstorm gathered in the sky. We watched a show in the visitor center entitled, "The Promise," and drove through the beautiful corn fields to Carthage. As we headed up the stairs of the jail to see the room where the prophet was martyred I said a little prayer that Tony and I would have a little time to bear our testimonies to our children. I was trying to figure out how to ask permission from the missionary, when she announced that the spirit prompted her to forgo her own testimony and allow Tony and I a few moments to share our feelings. It was a tender moment as Tony and I bore witness that God had and currently has prophets on the earth and that Joseph Smith is the prophet of the restoration. Marcos was touching the hole where the fatal bullet went through the door and may not remember our words, but I hope all the kids remember the spirit.

Tonight we left the kids at the hotel to swim and came to the Stake Center to hear a special fireside by Susan Easton Black and her husband George Durant. What a treat!

We go home tomorrow and start summer for real. My kids have no idea how lucky they are, but they cannot deny what their parents value most. We were willing to spend a lot of time and money for them to feel the spirit of the restoration. As we get close to watching our children disperse, I am very grateful for the memories we've made on this once in a lifetime trip.

The lesson that has been so continually taught me this trip is the commonality between a mormon pioneer, a jewish holocaust victim, a founding father and me is simply a decision to dedicate our life to God. The loss of property, family and even dignity are shaping opportunities when we are focused on the Savior. Without that focus, they are devastating losses.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: