Blog Archive

Sunday, March 30, 2014

thespians

The last two weeks the Lundbergs have been very dramatic! Eliza, Max and Marcos participated in Missoula Children's theatre and played the parts of beach bum, sailor and parrot, repectively. It was fun to watch Eliza feel a little more confidence this year and get into her part.





 Also in the drama department, somehow I thought it was a reasonable idea for Rachel Anderson and I to produce a high school musical. I greatly underestimated the amount of work this would require. About two weeks ago I realized I had bitten off way more than I could chew and was deeply underwater. My family was suffering, Tony was suffering, I was not sleeping.

I took the problem to Heavenly Father. I told Him that I could make sacrifices, work hard, and spend a lot of time on something that had purpose and merit. I was afraid that that I was putting all my energy into something that would not make a difference to anyone. I pleaded with God to consecrate my efforts for His purpose and make something good out of my overcommittment. I told Him I did not want any glory, just to know that the time and sacrifices of my family were for a good reason.














The week before the scheduled performances Rachel and I considered cancelling. Kids were quitting or getting deathly ill, morale was low, we were discouraged. On Saturday I began to feel the Lord's hand. The set came together, Cooper agreed to help with music, the kids picked up energy and by the Wedensday dress rehearsal, I was seeing the value of this project.



The most significant value I saw was for kids who don't usually get to be apart of a group. They were a part of something. One girl in particular is an obvious outsider, a loner. Because she couldn't make it to practices, we asked her to be stage manager. One night when I was taking her home after practice, she confided in me that she could handle teasing and unkindness, but it hurt so bad when she was "invisible." I think this play was an opportunity for some kids to not be invisible and that is a project worth the sacrifice. The added bonus was watching Wilson feel success and social normalacy. He really is a ham, if we could just get him to learn his lines!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Thespians

No comments: