Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 23, 2007




I wish everyone working on adoption policy could have joined us at he US consulate this morning. An entire room full of recently united families with beautiful black haired children would easily convince any skeptic of the joy of this process. The foreign adoption process weeds out weak parents and leaves parents who are fully invested. I think of society's broken families that are sick that a few people's bad choices could end so many happily-ever-after-families. We were particularly grateful to have the help of Leticia . She is a beautiful woman with a pure heart and charitable motives.

After our consulate appointment, which included a lot of waiting, Cooper and I had our first solo adventure to encontrar (to find) tortillas. How nice to be able communicate, even minimally enough to ask directions, find a tortilleria, order, pay and get ourselves home! Luis came to pick us up and we were on our way to Antigua.

Antigua is beautiful! The city is 8 blocks by 8 blocks with cobblestone roads and thin sidewalks. Each home is painted a different color. The mountain jungles are incredible, dense and green around the outside of the city. We spent all afternoon tasting new foods, shopping in the mercado, and meeting new people. We could not stop smiling.

Marcos has had absolutely no problems with the adjustment. He was immediately attacked by Cooper and Wilson and was in seventh heaven. He is a serious, curious boy, who hardly ever cries--When I carried him through the streets of Antigua with my "guatamalan blanket" wrapped around me, he slept like a baby. When he was awake he was ready for more adventure. He loves people. He does not like to be alone. He has been babied and we appreciate it. --When we met Lorena, who has been loving and taking care of precious Marcos since he was born, she was so sad. Once she met us it helped, but she was still sad. She could not stop complimenting Marcos on how good of a baby he has been, and that she would miss her "frijolito". --And she is right. He slept 8 hours, and he loves to eat, and play. What a marvelous thing that our Father in Heaven has given us, our fifth miracle. We could not be more appreciative. The only greater joy we will feel is when we seal him in the Temple, to truly finalize the adoption-forever.

We also had a chance to taste more of the guatamalan food-it is so flavorful. Our boys have loved it. Wilson said in response to a question about how he liked the food, "When can we come back to Guatamala?"

We miss Eliza, and Max -- We look forward to being together- as a complete family. There is no question in our minds that we will return to Guatamala. The only question is when. The people are beautiful, and we feel a strong pull, or obligation to return.

4 comments:

Betina said...

He is SO SO SO YOUR boy! I love this little Guatemalan boy already. You know that I love Guatemala. I can't wait to go on a family trip together with you guys. La tierra de la eterna primavera.

Max and Lula did great with us, Max opted to sleep with Eliza. Eden spent the morning home from school to play with Eliza (I justified it by saying if they had out of town cousins here we would do the same thing). Your Mom could not come on Tuesday so Jori and Andy jumped to the plate. Patty was with them for Tuesday night so you know all they ate were brownies and icecream.

I can't wait for you to come home so I can snuggle that small brown boy! I love to read of your successful "gotcha day"!

Betina said...

I meant Patty was with the kids for a few hours while they went to institutde. J&A were with them overnight.

andrea said...

I didn't expect you to be posting! I was just cleaning the house wondering about you and thinking that tomorrow you will be home.

I can't wait to get my hands on that cutenss. You truly have been blessed with the most beautiful children. He is so cute. Kelly, you are totally glowing in the picture.

I'm so glad everything has gone so well. I knew it would. Wilson and Cooper look like they are having a great time too.

Letty said...

Wow! What a great post!!! I love that I have the ability to see and experience a small portion of the joy all of you are experiencing. I can't wait to meet the new little one. I love his eyes they are soooo beautiful!