Blog Archive

Sunday, December 3, 2023

Birthdays!

 







Harlow turned 2! She came for a sleepover at Grandma and Grandpas.  We had bath, stories, snacks and prayers then snuggled into bed by 9:00 for a long birthday sleep.  Instead, she woke up at 2:30 and wanted to eat applesauce and play tickle monster.  Tony and I are definitely too old for this kind of birthday celebration!

Two days later Sam turned 17.  He celebrated with friends, Eggo waffles and wings,  and watching his favorite Ducks football team lose to the Huskies.   

My dearest baby boy,

This year, especially the last few months, you have done something that has made me so proud.  You asked for help.  You came to us indicating that you weren't doing well and wanted to see a Dr.  We did, and came up with a solution.  I know school is hard, and you don't have a job right now.  I know social pressures are real and being the youngest isn't very easy.  But reaching out to safe people and asking for help is true adulting.  
You have a sweet relationship with Harlow right now.  She likes to give you knucks and calls for Uncle Sam when she sees you.  Your siblings continue to adore you.  Lately you and Dad have been working hard to get along.  You still feel embarrassed if Dad says something awkward, but you have the social skills not to embarrasses him.  You have been compassionate with me when I shame-parent.  Thank you for that forgiveness.  I'm also proud of the way you are owning mistakes and the accompanying consequences.  It is easy for me to forget how capable you are and sometimes I overfunction.  This year will be a great opportunity for me to get to know you as an adult.  I'll try hard to treat you that way, although you will always be my sweet brown, crazy-haired, Guatemalean baby boy, Marcos Samuel.  

No comments: