Blog Archive

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Theraputic Burn

 COVID strikes again and cancels our girls weekend in Phoenix :(. We were excited to celebrate Betsy's 50th and discuss President Nelson's talks to our heart's content.  Thankfully, Betsy and Jeff came for the weekend and we had a great time eating out, hiking and releasing.  

At our last counseling session Tifanny introduced us to theraputic burning, a physical act of releasing the past.  Betsy brought a lot of hard papers from James' suicide including police reports and notes he had written her.  I brought the journal pages and police report from Max's wilderness program (1 year ago today he came home).   I was most fascinated watching Betsy's actual physical posture change as we watched all of that hard stuff cleansed by fire, and ascend to heaven in smoke.  I thought about the symbolism during the sacrament today too.  I take the burden of suffering, pain, resentment, and disappointment that I have willingly carried when God asked me to and, with his approval, I place it on the alter. I allow the spirit of fire to turn heavy burdens to nothing but a means of ascension to God.  

Max didn't formally participate, but joined by starting the fire, and that was a meaningful part I appreciated.  


No comments: