Blog Archive

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Lopes Up

 Last week I took my third kid to college.  It was the most pleasant one yet.  Eliza and I packed her car full of makeup and clothes and headed to Phoenix.  GPS took us on a goosechase and we ended up with the truckers int he middle of the desert.  We kept ourselves awake by singing at full volume, eating candy and blasting cold air.  We limped into Phoenix about midnight and collapsed into our blessed hotel beds.  Eliza was a ball of nerves, but we arrived at 9:45 sharp and immediately got lost.  We walked all over campus with suitcases and backpacks until we found her dorm.  The other roommates were asleep or in class so we got busy setting up her room.  Just like my freshman year, Eliza's roommate had embraced the idea that the first one in gets the most closet space and best bed set up, so we rearranged a bit to make room.  Happily, I didn't problem solve, but let Eliza practice her self advocacy skills.  Once we got her room setup we went for a burrito (lots of happy memories there) and to do a final Target run.  We checked out where the church was, bought some GCU swag and then it was time for me to go.  We had dinner together at Olive Garden, because it is Eliza's favorite then she dropped me off at the airport.  

A couple of things stand out to me.  First, I am really blessed to have such a beautiful, capable daughter who is sweet and kind and empathetic.  Second, I have no idea what her conversion is to Jesus Christ and I will be curious to see how it emerges.   It will likely not look like mine, and I'm getting better being curious and trusting.  








No comments: