Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Father's Day

Dear Dad,

It has been a wonderful gift this year to receive your weekly letter.  We have enjoyed your wit, wisdom and testimony.  This father’s day, you might enjoy receiving, instead of sending that letter.

I’ve been alive almost half a century.  Half of that life would be described as idealistic.  I grew up with every physical need met, never hungry, never wanting.  I had every emotional need met.  I never questioned that my parents loved me.  Secure in that knowledge, I have also always known that my Heavenly parents love me.  Even during the unstable young adult period when we question our purpose and place in this world, I never questioned my worth or value.  I was taught how to eat healthy, be financially savvy, and how to be kind to others.  On many occasions I was spoiled and indulged.  My parents never missed my birthday and holidays and traditions gave me a secure family culture.  I learned how to tease, and to take a good ribbing in a spirit of love.  

I was thoroughly taught the Plan of Salvation and the blessings of the Restoration.  I was taught a love of the temple, the prophet, and the Sabbath.  Tithing, service, and the word of wisdom became second nature because it was taught naturally in my home.  

I learned to express my feelings, write in a journal, and stand up for what I believe, even if it was uncomfortable.  I was rewarded for good choices and loved feeling my parents approval.  My parents taught me to say I’m sorry and to forgive.  

The second half of my century of life might not be described as idealistic.  Cancer at 23 was life altering.  There have been challenges related to adoption and mental illness.  Many of the hopes, dreams and expectations for my family have not happened as I expected.  There has been pain that I could not have imagined.  

The idealism of my childhood was sometimes in such stark contrast to the reality of adulthood, I was sometimes left reeling.  It didn’t make sense. I wanted my kids to have what I had.  I wanted them to enjoy security and the overconfidence gene.  

Thankfully, I come back to the one truth my parents taught me that applies equally in easy and hard times.  It is the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I understand this truth to be all about love.  It reminds me to try again.  It reminds me that final outcomes don’t depend on my efforts.  It is the way I feel peace in the midst of pain. 

So this Father’s Day, in addition to telling you how much I love you, I want to thank you for teaching me the doctrine of Christ.  I know it’s real and reliable.  Of everything thing I have learned from you, Dad, this has been the most significant. Thank you for my idealistic childhood and for teaching me the way to survive an anything-but-idealistic adulthood.  

I love you until the Palouse stops producing beautiful wheat,

Love, Kelly

No comments: