Blog Archive

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Wilson goes to college

We did not parent our oldest son.   We spent 19 years in crisis intervention, damage control and risk management.   It was what he needed and I feel confident in our efforts.  As I drove away from Pocatello on Thursday, I was blessed with the peaceful knowledge that we have laid out all the tools for success that we possibly could.  Wilson can take it or leave it; it is all up to him.  I didn't cry this time dropping him off.  I won't miss how he takes out all his stress on me, swears at me, criticizes everything I do or say or rejects everything that is important to me.  I won't miss him smoking, drinking, lying stealing, hurting the other kids, or his unpredictable temper.  It feels like a big relief to have him far away.  I love Wilson and I want the best for him and he has taught me so much about areas of improvement I have.   I need to redirect my energies from emergency management to actual parenting.   I have no doubt it will be just as painful and humbling.
this is what we saw first upon moving in to Wilson's apartment!

Wilson in his room.

Wilson at the Institute

Saying goodbye

No comments: