Blog Archive

Sunday, January 31, 2010

vinyl

We got a call from Tyler a couple of weeks ago with the not so good news that he has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. After a few days of uncertainty and concern, the Rippy way of handling crisis was applied. Tyler and Chelsea would go ahead with their planned trip to Costa Rica (why let cancer ruin a perfectly awesome 5 star trip abroad), Cameron started cracking jokes and organizing a .5K throid cancer awareness run (we'll fight this thing together) and I coerced everyone in Spokane to go to the temple together. All I have to say is that Dustin better watch out, he's next.

I heard a great quote today that I think will be my 2010 theme: "Don't get caught in the thick of thin things."--Elder Maxwell.
It is so great that I am having to resist every temptation to put it onto vinyl wall stickies. This has been a week of vinyl home improvement. After a lot of inner personal struggle regarding vinyl in the home, I have concluded that Vinyl with a Purpose is OK. Frivolous Vinyl is not OK, and is in fact, a sin.

Vinyl on suitcases has real purpose. Especially if those suitcases were missionary suitcases. Missionary suitcases purchased as a clear tithing blessing by your father at a thrift store. Suitcases that spent two years respectively in Nicaragua, Brazil, Philippenes and Miami Florida. Am I just rationalizing here? Will I have to see the Bishop for vinyl immorality?

Women's conference yesterday was uplifting. It reminded me that my current job is worthy and valuable. It also reminded me to take my responsibilities even more seriously and be vigilant about participating in the organized efforts (RS/VTing) to fight a very real enemy.

Sports update: Wilson had his first wrestling match and beat all three guys. He really likes that unbelievably painful sport.
Cooper scored 8 points at his last game and really wants a basketball and golf bag for his birthday. Miraculously, Eliza apparently made a basket in her game. Even if it was an accident, that's better than I could do.

Max has spent the day referring to me as "Mrs Claus," and has instructed me to refer to him as "Little Elf." When I tucked him into bed he wanted to know what toys we would be building tomorrow for Santa. I will pray heartily for an extra dose of patience and creativity.

I woke up this morning to two naked, brown, Guatemalan buns an inch from my face. Is this really the kind of thing I will miss when my children are grown and gone? Really?

1 comment:

Child of God said...

I hear you on the vinyl lettering. Some people go way over board. The temple was great and we really loved Bangkok Thai.