Blog Archive

Sunday, September 16, 2007

6 more weeks


I called the adopotion agency on Friday to schedule a visit with Marcos. I just didn't think I could wait any longer. Vivian had just received word that we were approved by the Guatemalan government and that our wait will be about 6 weeks. I feel relieved and more at peace than I've been for six months. I know our family life is going to change in ways I can't imagine, but I think we are all ready.

Tony has been asked to serve in the student stake. It means he will be gone every Wednesday and Sunday, but we feel really good about what he will learn and the opportunity for growth. The men he works with are amazing. The extra bonus is that we will get to see much more of Jeff and Stacy since Tony has been assigned to their ward.

Reason #98098347 for loving St John. I have three kids in soccer, but they only have 4 practices and 4 games apiece. They can also walk to practice and no one is uptight about winning or losing. The coaches even coordinated with the dance teacher so the activities wouldn't overlap.

Wilson had a rough week at school. The big magazine sale started and caused him lots of anxiety. He is having a hard time completing his school assignments as well. I'm thrilled that his teacher is so dedicated and is willing to give Wilson extra attention every afternoon after school. Wilson has just mastered carrying out routines developed by his teacher or parents and now we have to work on his ability to develop his own routines. Mom says he reminds her so much of Cameron, so creative and bright and completely unable to finish a task beginning to end. Mom says the only thing that truly helps kids like Wilson is for them to grow up and marry organized, efficient wives! Sometimes when I get discouraged about Wilson's school success, I watch him on the trampoline doing gravity defying flips with the grace of a dolphin. I hope those skills are marketable in the workplace.

Cooper likes school, but I can tell he is still learning to negotiate social situations. We all laughed and laughed when he brought home a C- on his first spelling test. I'm glad we didn't overreact: this week his spelling test was an A+100% I love the way Cooper is motivated by money. He works so hard when he is working for cash.

Eliza lives for kindergarten. The biggest bonus is the way she and Max play on her days off. I think it is because he misses her so much he agrees to play her "girl games" out of desperation.

Max makes several trips a day to the stop sign on his bike to see if the "kids are coming." I took him on a bike ride the other day and when we got home he was all curled up on the floor of the bike trailer fast asleep. Next time I'll throw in his pillow!

Tony and I had a nice visit with Grandma Abuelita this week. Tony took some stitches out of her leg and was amazed at how healthy she is at 93. She is taking all her children on a cruise in November. Grandma gave me one of her last "doubleknit" quilts so now all my children have a blanket made by their great grandmother. I've always loved Grandma's ability to be around kids without getting
ruffled. I think it is the quality I most hope to have as an elderly person.

We are starting to get excited for our annual trip to the beach. It is the perfect location to come listen to the prophet's voice.

No comments: